First You Have to be Found: Taking Your Green Industry Business From Invisible to Sought-After in Today’s Online World
Nothing happens until your ideal customer knows you exist. But it’s not enough just to be “found” - it’s about being found by the right people, in the right place, at the right time, with the right message so the “selling” happens before you even talk to them. And, in today’s world, that all happens online.
Gone are the days when word of mouth was all it took to grow a successful green industry business. As competition from uninsured, unlicensed and inexperienced individuals and companies grows, it’s critical to stand out in a crowded online marketplace if you want to attract customers who value what you do.
In this talk, I share my journey “from invisible to sought after” as I grew my landscape design business, the mistakes I made along the way (things for you to avoid!), and the strategies and tactics that worked best to bring in well-qualified leads and turn them into paying customers.
Specifically, you’ll learn about:
• the importance of knowing your audience/customers,
• the perils of relying on word of mouth to bring in business,
• why the advice to “be everywhere” online should be ignored,
• how not focusing on online marketing harms your business, and
• ways to tell whether your online efforts contribute to the bottom line (because if it doesn’t bring in business, you’re doing it wrong).
Note – This talk is more “inspirational” in nature and less “how to”. It uses stories to emphasize the points above and describes things for the audience to think about relative to their own business and online marketing efforts.